An interactive tour of the tropical garden for school classes, focusing on cocoa.
We provide students with loads of fascinating facts about the cocoa plant: its distinctive features, how it grows and how it is processed. And afterwards they get to make their own drinking chocolate, all the way from bean to glass. Packages are available either with or without an expert guide. If the no-guide option is chosen, the schoolchildren are supervised by their teachers. We can supply materials and worksheets on the Tropenhaus.
Suitable age: Years 1-9 (the tour is adapted to suit the age group)
Duration: 2.5 hours: 1 hour workshop or guided tour with half the class, then swap over. A "Schoggi" – Swiss for hot chocolate – is served during a break of around 30 minutes before everyone swaps over. The workshop will be led by an expert from the Tropenhaus, while the tour can be led either by a teacher or one of our visitor guides.
- Group size: The class will be split into 2 halves.
- Languages: German, French
- Basic cost: CHF 296 including drinking chocolate workshop plus guided tour of the tropical garden (the workshop and tour are run in parallel in 2 groups)
- Basic cost: CHF 150 including drinking chocolate workshop, without guided tour of the tropical garden (teachers supervise students while they are not in the workshop)
- Cost: Materials per person: CHF 5.00
Guided tours can be booked between 9 and 11.30 am.